Busy day yesterday with the vols on Farlington. As you can see from the earlier blog posts, the birds are really starting to pick up down on the marsh now. With that in mind we wanted to get the works completed to maximize the habitat for them and make it as an attractive place as possible for them to hang out at high tide.
We were in luck Tues as the tide was out for most of the day so we could spend the morning around the lake. We did flush a few Dunlin and Black Tailed Godwits but on the whole the lake was more or less empty. I wanted to be off a few hours before high tide so our impact was as small as possible. That meant cramming as much in as we could in the morning.
The aim of the game was to cut a large patch of short reed and then cut some bays into the longer reed to provide secure and sheltered roosting areas for the waders. You will often see the Redshank and Dunlin crowded around the edge of the reed, so hopefully the bays would provide a bit more space. The right side has not grown in with reed as much this year and this seems to be where a lot of the waders are congregating so we set to work enlarging this.
There is lots of salt marsh plants around the edge of where we were cutting. Hopefully with a little more regular reed cutting, this may spread down and cover this area.
A big thanks to the volunteers for their work yesterday. It was hot and humid work and you never really get used to the smell of the mud at Farlington!