The main event today was working with the volunteers at Farlington Marshes, but quite a bit more went on as well. I arrived at 07:30 to give me time to check the cattle and have a quick look around the reserve before things got going. Luckily the cattle were all present and correct and when I found them in the Bushes they were accompanied by 5 yellow wagtail, which was a real bonus. Along the Stream there were 2 avocet, a few black-tailed godwit and a party of 7 whimbrel which flew over heading west.
I had a very quick walk round and came across at least 4 wheatear, although 12 or more were reported later. In the Point Field a singing sedge warbler was my first this year and, although they avoided me, several whitethroat were also reported today. My walk was cut short and turned into a bit of a dash when the skip I had ordered turned up a bit earlier than expected.
The volunteers continued clearing the yard and worked some more on our attempt at a little tern raft, which got as far as “first sea trials”.
We also started making shelduck boxes using yet more of the old plywood from the underpass, much more to do on these and the raft over then next couple of weeks.
I then had to dash off to Swanwick to meet our new boat, I had to wait for the delivery but as the sun was out I was not too bothered. There are now quite a lot of flowers out near the Centre, especially cowslips,
The flowers were attracting a few solitary bees and my first bee-fly of the year at first I thought it was the common Bombylius major, but then I spotted it had spots on the wings, I got a picture and was able to confirm it was in fact the scarcer Bombylius discolor.
I then did find a Bombylius major, just for comparison.